The Dreadnought Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvond

Go down

Alvond             Empty Alvond

Post by Ragnos 5/30/2015, 3:36 pm

By: Justin Wright                Alvond          Edited By: Jameson Clark

The sound of fighting woke me from my slumber.  I’d only been on the ship for about three days now; and a fight had started on the deck. When I finally came to, the smell of sea water filled my nose.  My back was sore from sleeping on the floor of the cargo deck of the ship named Carstella, which I was travelling on toward the continent of Alvond.  I climbed to the top deck to see the cause of the commotion that woke me.  Everyone was gathered in a circle around the two combatants while placing bets; when, THUD! One of the combatants fell, leaving most cheering, but some angry at the loss of their fortune. Soon the Captain broke up the crowd and helped the fallen combatant back to his quarters. As the sun rose over the sea’s horizon, the Captain said to me, “You should return to your quarters as well. We will be arriving soon.”  As I returned to my spot on the floor in the cargo hold, I came across a mirror.  As I looked into it, I saw a man with brown hair and blue eyes glaring back at me. I thought my eyes changed color, but it must have been the light. I continued to my place in the cargo hold.
“Ryzen! Ryzen!” The captain yelled.  I reluctantly acknowledged him. “We are five minutes from Starkhaven port.” The captain continued. “Ok”, I replied. A few weeks back I had received a letter from my uncle in Starkhaven asking me to come see him, though he never actually said why he needed my presence.
The continent Alvond was a mysterious place.  I’d heard that mountains were to the north and rivers spread south with hilly grasslands and forests spread out across the continent.  Humans occupied the northeastern lands a hundred and twenty-six years ago, and been here ever since then.
The ship creaked as it pulled into the port.  I heard the thump of the gangplank connect to the dock once the ship had dropped its anchor. I immediately gathered my supplies and headed for the upper deck. The sun was high in the sky when I emerged from the dark cargo hold. Once my eyes adjusted to the bright light of the sun, I saw a large stone brick city. I had to go to the other side of the sails to get a better view of the city. Large walls separated the dock from the city, likely built to be able to defend themselves from any invaders. I bid the captain farewell and walked off the ship with my 2 large packs of supplies, one filled with drink and food while the other contained clothes.
“Need some help there?” said a rough unfamiliar voice.
“Down here.”
I looked down and saw a dwarf about four and a half feet tall with bulky arms, a brown beard, and a bald head. His brownish, gold colored short sleeve shirt and linen pants appeared foreign to me.
“Well?” said the dwarf.
“Well I guess I could use the help.” I replied to him.
“The names Morik, Morik Aurtum” he greeted.
“Ryzen,” I replied to him, while handing him the pack of clothes.  Since I’d heard that dwarves were notorious for their love of food and ale, I’d decided not to hand him the pack which contained the booze.
“Where you headed?” Asked Morik
“My uncle’s house” I replied, “His name is Edmon.”
“Edmon! He’s well-known around here; I never knew that he had a nephew.” Morik exclaimed as we walked off the dock and into the city.
The roads were made of stone brick, like everything else, and the streets were bustling with activity; humans and dwarves rushing to get where they were going. We took a right on a street where I asked Morik why there were no elves in the city. To which he responded-
“Usually it’s a rare sight to see an elf in the city; however, the only dwarves that you see here are traveling merchants that don’t stay long, and only a few dwarves actually reside here. Most of our cities are under the Skul mountain range in the north.”
Not surprised by the answer he had given me, we continued to walk down the street until we came to a house with an iron door. “Well, here’s Edmon’s house,” Morik said, as he dropped the large bag he’d been carrying. He pointed to a house down the street and said, “I reside over there, and if I’m not home check the dock, and if I’m not there check the tavern.” Why I am not surprised. I thought to myself. “Thanks for the help Morik.”  “Anytime,” he replied.
When the dwarf had left, I knocked on the door. It took a while before an answer came though. My uncle came to the door, where he stood shocked for a second and hugged me. He invited me in and took my bags. He put the bags in a corner, and sat in a chair across from me.
“Well I never thought you’d take so long.  I was beginning to think you died or something.” He teased.
“Well, it took some time before I could book passage onto a ship,” I replied to him.  Edmon was dressed in a brown tunic with linen pants similar to Morik’s; he also had unkempt hair which didn’t seem to bother him.
“You never said what you needed me for.” I enquired.  “Well, I thought that you would like some sword training. The last time I saw you, you could barely hold a sword.”
SWORDSMANSHIP?! I thought to myself. “What do you know about swords?” I said to him.
“A lot more than you know.  I’ve got a place outside of town where we can practice with wooden swords.”
Learning swordsmanship was the last thing I had ever expected to do in my lifetime.
“I’ll give you a few days to settle in. Morik can show you around if you wish.”
“How do you know about Morik?” Shocked that he had known about the dwarf, who had welcomed me when I arrived.
“I sent him to meet you on the docks when you arrived. He has been working there for a long time. I asked him to watch for you and be a guide without you knowing.”  He looked like he was about to laugh, but he kept it down.
“Very funny.” I replied sarcastically. “Where will I sleep?” I said wondering.
“There’s a room in the back of the house you can use. It has a bed and a chest you can use to store your things.” He answered. “Thanks. I think I’ll take a nap. I’m very tired from the voyage.” I decided to do just that. Edmon said he would have dinner ready by the time I woke up. I found the room and fell into the bed, where soon I was asleep.

I woke up about three hours later to the familiar scent of cooked eggs. I walked to the table in the main room where I saw a plate of hard boiled eggs, some bread with butter, and a cup of milk.
“Finally awake?” Teased Edmon.  I ignored my Uncle’s remark and sat down at the table, where I picked up a fork and began to eat.  He sat down across from me and said “How much do you know about the elves and dwarves?”
“Not much. Why don’t many elves visit the city?” I replied, remembering the conversation I had with Morik.
“Well, since they prefer to live in the wilderness, where they grow and hunt their food, there is no need for them to come to the city.” He answered.

“Well I guess that makes sense.” I replied as I returned to the food on my plate.
“Anyways, if you want we can start your training tomorrow,” he remarked. I had finished my eggs and had shifted over to the bread. “That’s great. You said something about the dwarves and elves?”
“I did, but you haven’t told me what you know.” Repeating the same question he did earlier, when I sat down at the table to eat. “Well I don’t know much about the Elves beside their pointy ears. However, I do know the Dwarves like to drink a lot, prefer living underground, and that their soldiers carry very large weapons.”
“Well, you know a little but not a lot.” He said while looking down. “Let me tell you what I know.” He got comfortable in his chair before he began.
“First the dwarves. The dwarves live in underground cities called Qur Dunum or stone cities where the dwarven families are divided into clans. They do not all enjoy ale and mead as you might have heard. Some do not even drink alcohol at all. You were right when you said most of the dwarven soldiers prefer large weapons, but there are a select few that wield skill weapons such as bows and arrows. I know little of their social culture.”
He took a break as he prepared to say what he knew about the elves. I finished my bread and waited for him to start again.
“The Elves have a very high metabolism so you would probably never see a fat elf.” he chuckled at the thought of a fat elf.

“Surprisingly, Elves, living over two hundred years, have a much longer life span than any other known race. Also, their reflexes and speed is unmatched by any race. I have seen many fights between an elf and non-elf, and never once have I seen an elf touched in combat. Nor have I heard of anyone managing to do so except their own kind. Alvond is also technically the elves’ land, but they let us settle here. That’s all I know on that matter.” He leaned back to catch his breath.
“Also now that you are done with dinner and your little lesson is over, you should go. Morik came by earlier asking you to come to the tavern for a drink.”
“Now you tell me this!” Wondering why he hadn’t told me when I walked into the room.
“Well I didn’t want you to leave before you ate your dinner.” He replied. I inquired as to where the tavern was.  As soon as my uncle had given me directions, I left the house and began to walk towards the tavern, located just down the road.
Dusk was upon me by the time I arrived at the tavern. I guess I got a good nap in I suppose. I said to myself. The smell of mead, and body stench filled the tavern as I entered. I spotted Morik waving to me in the far right corner of the room. The tavern had a wooden bar with tables scattered about. Some patrons were playing dice while others were playing poker, yet most were just talking to each other. The tavern was loud with a swirling of all the voices. Once I reached Morik through the crowd of people, he motioned for me to sit down. He barked at the bartender to bring some ale for me. The bartender sat a tankard of ale down in front of me and walked back to the bar.

“Well, how has your visit been so far, Ryzen?” He said while seeming completely sober.
“It has been Interesting so far. My uncle said that he had you waiting for me at the docks.”
“Yep. He gave me your description, and I kept watch for two days. Then on the third day you came in on the ship Carstella.” He drank the mead he had in front of him. “So what does your uncle have planned?”
“Well he plans to teach me how to fight with a sword and defend myself. He even told me a bit about the elves and dwarves.”
“Ah, that’s a good thing. You should know how to wield a sword, especially in these times.” Then he drank some more. “What do you mean especially in these times?” I said wondering.
“You haven’t heard the rumors that the Mothien’s are preparing for war? They may plan to attack at any time!” He was serious. I could see it in his eyes, and he almost seemed frightened. “The Mothien’s are a barbaric race hungry for power, or so I hear. I’ve never seen a Mothien, and I do not wish to, but if they attack I will not cower like a dog. I will defend my home even if it costs me my life.” I then understood why the dwarves were revered for their combat ability and honor.
“Well then, let’s hope that wherever they are they won’t mess with us.” His story worried me, but they were just rumors. I had never even heard of a Mothien so I decide to ask Morik. “What is a Mothien anyway?”

“I’ve never seen one, but I know of an Empire of sorts that is on a large Isle north of here near the arctic. So it must be pretty cold where they are, however that’s all I know besides the rumors.”
He then shuddered, I guessed because the dwarves hated the cold or something. We then changed the subject and just made small talk. Later he asked where I originated from and about my life before I came to Alvond and Starkhaven.
“Well, I grew up in a small village on the continent Gulotis, helping around the village any way I could. My father raised me alone and also taught me how to read and write.  My mother died when I was born, and my father died when he fell off the top of a three story barn when I was nineteen years old. That was nine years ago now, and I received my uncle’s letter a year ago. I had the respect of the village, and they helped me after my father died.”
“So that’s why you look to be in such great shape. It was from all that farm work. My sympathy though for losing your mother and father.” He was on his sixth tankard of mead, and it seemed to not even affect him in the least.  I was on my third, and already I was feeling a bit dazed.  “Well I guess I better start heading home. See you later Morik.” “Later!” Replied Morik.
I stood up, and a man ran into me. He fell to the ground. He was an average sized man with a mustache and beard and short hair. He had obviously been drinking too much.  He got up and accused me of bumping into him. He insisted that I apologize to him, but I had no intention of doing so. Then suddenly the man swung his fist at me. I ducked and punched him in the stomach he then retaliated and swung again. I ducked, and he hit one of his friends who went flying onto a table. I thrusted my right fist into the left side of his head knocking him unconscious. Before I knew it, a fight had broken out in the entire bar. I looked to where Morik was sitting, and he was no longer there. In fact he had his right arm around a man’s neck and in his left hand was his tankard of mead. Morik drank the rest of his mead and hit the man in the head with his tankard knocking the man to the floor. He kicked another man in the leg causing him to crouch down and grip his knee. When he was to Morik’s height he looked up, and Morik punched him square in the face sending him crashing onto to the floor. I joined in the fight putting the rest of the troublemakers down.
After thirty minutes of fighting Morik and I were the only two standing while everybody else had fled or had been knocked out. Morik reached for a tankard of mead on a table, sipped it, and then set it back down.
“Well Ryzen, we better go before we get in trouble.” “I agree.” We then departed for our homes. I was a little bruised but nothing serious. I stumbled into my uncle’s house and crashed onto the bed in my room. I immediately fell asleep. The events during my first day in Starkhaven had been interesting to say the least. Meeting Morik, my uncle, learning about the dwarves and elves, and even getting into a bar fight.

What a day I had.
Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

https://dreadnought.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Alvond             Empty Re: Alvond

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:17 pm

Chapter 2: Swords Cross
When I woke up my head was pounding and felt like it was about to explode. I got up from the bed and dragged myself into the main room. My uncle was sitting in his chair smoking a pipe. He put it down and said, “Did you have fun last night?” All I could manage to say was that my head was hurting. He got up and went to the kitchen. Moments later he came back with an odd drink and handed it to me without saying a word.
“What is this?” I asked him. “Just drink it.” He replied. I reluctantly drank the liquid. It tasted awful. I had never tasted anything so terrible, but I managed to consume the vile liquid.
“Blah! Uh! Disgusting! What is this?!”
“That is a hangover cure. That’s what it is. Just raw eggs and milk!” He said while laughing hysterically.
I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and then hurried to my room to change. I could still hear him chuckling in the living room. I opened my chest that contained my clothes, and pulled out a light blue shirt and black pants. I put what I was currently wearing in a corner to be washed later, and put on the outfit I had chosen. After a few minutes I noticed that my headache was gone. Well I guess that drink did work, I thought. I walked back to the room my uncle was in. He was looking out the window still smoking his pipe and it seemed that he had settled down since his laughing streak.
“Well are you ready for your training?” He asked observing my change of wardrobe.
“Yeah, ready when you are.” I replied anxious to begin.
“Good. Help me carry this box to the spot I have prepared.” I picked up one side with both hands and the weight began to strain my arms, but I decided to endure the stress from carrying it. He got the other side.
We entered the streets of Starkhaven and by the position of the sun it was a little before noon. We entered the marketplace where traders and merchants were selling their wares. They had opened stalls to sell their wares in. There were all manner of merchants including dwarves even though I had never thought of any dwarf as a merchant, but then again most of the wares were weapons and armor. However, there were a few stalls selling clothes and jewelry also. The craftsmanship of the dwarves’ wares was of foreign nature, excellent quality, and had a mystical look about them. After we passed the marketplace, we were forced to take a break because the strain on my arms was becoming unbearable. After a few minutes the pain subsided, and we continued to the training spot outside the city. We reached the outside wall, and one of the guards at the gate seemed to stare at us while we passed. He was probably curious as to what was in the box we were carrying. I was curious myself since even I didn’t know what was inside it.
We passed through the gate and into a large woodland area filled with oak and pine trees. There was a large clearing between the walls and the forest more than likely cut down so archers could hit something besides trees if the city was ever attacked.
We followed the road for approximately six minutes then we turned right into a clearing where we sat down the large wooden box. I was relieved to have put the box down. My arms felt like they were about to fall off.
“Here we are.” Said my uncle. “Nice place, isn’t it? Perfect for sword training.”
“Yeah” I replied to him.
He then opened the box. I finally got to see what the box held inside. It contained ten or twelve wooden swords at least. I picked one up, and it was as heavy as a real sword. I noticed weights imbedded within the wooden sword. It was carved to look like a real sword as well, and if it was painted with an iron color then perhaps I might have mistaken it for a real sword.
“Realistic, isn’t it?”
“Yes, very realistic I’m surprised that someone could carve something like this. It looks so real!” I replied to him.
“It was made by the best.” He said scanning his sword.
“Did you make these?” I asked him.
“What else was I supposed to do while waiting for you? I used to be a smith back in the day, and it seems I still got what it takes.”
“Wow! I’m surprised that you know something besides smoking a pipe.”
“Yeah, smoking a pipe takes skill.” He said jokingly
“Well, shall we begin?” He said while taking his stance. I grabbed my sword by the handle prepared for his first attack.
“Now that’s no way to hold a sword” he said walking over to me. I looked down at my hands while he walked over to me. He demonstrated to me how to hold it properly without straining my wrist.
“Now shall we begin, again?” I took my stance and held my sword the way he showed me. Then without warning he lunged at me with his sword. I blocked with a side swing, and he suddenly hit my waist. The pain from the strike shot through my lower body. I swung at him with a downward strike that he blocked immediately. Countering, he then spun around me and hit me in the back.
“Come on you can do better than that!” he yelled.
“Again!” He said while backing up, putting some distance between us. I raised my sword and prepared myself for another attack. He moved in toward me and attacked. I blocked two of his strikes, but that didn’t stop him from hitting me in the arm and the shoulder. He took his stance again. I charged at him, swinging with my sword, but he dodged the first few blows, then parried one and hit me on my back. I fell to the ground from the pain. I was amazed by how fast he could maneuver. He helped me up and proceeded to teach me how to block properly.
“Ok, now that you know how to block properly, let’s try this again.” He took his stance again. My whole body hurt, but that didn’t stop me from trying. He sprung forward and was upon me within seconds. He attacked multiple times. While I blocked most of his attacks some got through. I could tell he wasn’t actually giving it his all. I tried to counterattack but that ended with me lying on the ground.
“Nice try, but it didn’t work. You need to block or dodge while watching your opponent and then when an opening presents itself, move in for a hit. Even when you are attacking, you need to look for any opening that gives you an advantage.”
I acknowledged him and took my stance again. This time I attacked not giving him a chance to prepare, and almost landed a hit, but he managed to block my blow. Then, I backed off and prepared myself for an attack. He came at me and swung his sword in a downward motion which I easily blocked. From this he countered from the side. I didn’t have time to block it, so I jumped away from the blow. In that instant, he left himself open on his right, so I jabbed at his right with my sword hoping to hit him. He dodged at the last second, so I barely grazed his right side. However, by doing this I left myself open, and he brought his sword down upon my back, and I hit the ground with a THUMP!
“Well, you managed to barely hit me.” He said mockingly
For the rest of the day he trained me in the craft of swordsmanship. He taught me more about attacking, counterattacking, blocking, parrying, and dodging attacks. At the end of the day on our last fight I finally hit him, but he hit me as well. He swung his sword right which I ducked, dodged, and retaliated by swinging and hitting his left arm. Then suddenly his sword came from my right and hit me on the right side of my head so hard that the sword shattered in half. I saw pieces of his wooden sword flying everywhere before I landed on the ground with my hands over the injured side of my face. The pain of the blow was unbearable. I also saw him griping his left arm where I hit it. I managed to get back up on my feet. I saw my sword lying on the ground some distance away.
“Well, my arms numb. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.” He said, looking at me observing where he had hit me. “You okay?” he said
“I’ll live, I…I think.” I said while still gripping the right side of my face.
“I managed to hit you at least.”
“Yeah, I’m impressed at how fast you learned to use a sword.” He said picking up my sword off the ground and putting it back in the box.
The sun was just sinking under the horizon when he said it was time for us to go. Gripping the other side of the box we headed back home.
When we arrived back at the house Morik was there waiting for us by the door.
“The right side of your face is redder than a baboon’s backside.” Teased Morik
“Ha, but he managed to land a blow on me at least.” Edmon said to Morik. Morik open the door for us. We sat the box down on the floor. I had not noticed until then that my clothes were cut and very dirty.
“How’d the training go?” Morik asked.
“Pretty good until I took a large stick to the side of the head.” I informed Morik of the day’s events of the training.
Edmon sat down in his chair, put tobacco in his pipe, and lit it. “The whack to my arm hurt as much as when I hit him with the sword.” Edmon said while puffing on his pipe.
“Yeah right!” I said sarcastically.
“Well, it’s good to know that you survived it.” Morik said while he was running his hand through his beard.
“I guess I had be on my way and let you rest, unless of course you want to head to the tavern with me?”
“I might get into another fight so I’ll just go to bed.” I said surprised that he was actually going to the bar again.
Morik left and my uncle had fallen asleep in his chair. His pipe was still smoldering on the table beside it. I found my way to my room and landed on the bed.
I’ll just take a bath tomorrow, I said to myself. It wasn’t long before I dozed off
Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:18 pm

Chapter: 3 Preparing
We had been practicing for almost three weeks, and all but two of our swords had broken.
I flanked Edmon from the right. He quickly countered my blow. I barely had enough time to dodge his next strike. In that moment his left side was open to attack. I took advantage of this and hit his left. He backed away, and then charged with a downward strike. I parried the blow, and pieces of his sword scattered everywhere. Throughout the weeks our attacks became stronger and stronger to the point that they could not withstand our heavy blows. His attack left my sword with a major crack and in turn made it beyond use.
“You’ve become a very strong sword fighter, and your speed has increased as well. You can beat me any day in a sword fight that’s for sure. Quite frankly, your potential is scary. I’m proud of you.” Edmon said while looking at the ground.
“Yeah, that’s for sure! “ I replied back to him.
We could hear footsteps coming down the road. Someone was running toward us. Was it the guards? No why would they come for us. A small man busted through the bushes. It was Morik.
“What is it Morik?” My uncle said while walking over to him.
“The…the…” he struggled to catch his breath.“The arena is reopening!”
“The arena?!” I said wondering why I never heard that an arena was in Starkhaven.
“Yeah I thought that you guys would like to hear that. Maybe you should compete, Ryzen. It’ll give you the chance to test your skills.”
“Now hold on just a moment. No one’s going to compete in that arena, especially you, Ryzen. The arena attracts all kinds of fighters looking for fame and money, and most will tear you to shreds!” My uncle objected.
“Why not?” I said back to him.
“Because it’s a fight where the best man wins, and most people are killed. You can let your opponent go but with less of a payout.”
“Then I won’t kill anyone. I’m not in it for the money.”
“Then why do you want to compete!?To test your skills? To see how far you can go before you get your throat slit!?” he yelled.
“No, if things get out of hand I’ll back out.”
“There is no backing out of a fight!” he continued.
“Well, then I don’t know! I want to do this, and nothing will change what I want to do!”
“Fine do what you want. But I won’t be there to help you out!” he finished.
“Uncle…”
“GO. Do what you want!” he yelled while turning his back.
I turned around and left with Morik. My uncle was still standing on the other side of the clearing when we left. About an hour later when Morik and I were washing away the day’s events over a gallon of mead, Morik began to tell me why Edmon was so offended by me wanting to enter the arena.
“About seven years ago Edmon’s son was killed in the arena.”
“Wait! Edmon had a son!” I said surprised.
“Edmon was forty-eight at the time. His son was in his early twenties when he was killed.”
“I guess that would explain why he is so upset at losing the only family member he has left.” I said understanding Edmon’s reasons. “Wait! What happened to his wife?”
“That was before I arrived in Starkhaven. All I know is that she was killed by a sickness that swept the town during that time, but I digress.”
“He was a blacksmith then as well, and he forged the armor and sword his son used when he was killed. He also trained him the best he could, but even that was not enough to keep him alive.”
“Is the arena really that harsh?” I asked Morik.
“Yes, but I’ve watched you fight with your uncle during training, and I think you have the determination and skill to win in the arena.”
“Thanks.” I said feeling encouraged by his words of confidence.
“I suppose I better apologize to him. I had no idea about what happened seven years ago.”
“Do you still plan to fight in the arena?”
“Yes, I do. I won’t back down from this challenge of mine.”
I went home a few hours after that and did what I could to apologize to my uncle. He calmed down, but still he did not want anything to do with the arena. I went to bed and hoped for a new day.
In the morning I met Morik outside his house. My uncle was still asleep in the house when I left.
“So what are we doing today, Morik?”
“We, my friend, are outfitting you for the arena.”
“You mean a weapon and some armor?” I said surprised that he was actually buying this for me.
“Yeah, can’t have you dying on me, now can we?”
We were in the marketplace when Morik asked one of the dwarven merchants for a favor they owed him. They gave him a set of armor that looked pretty makeshift to me. Morik gave me the armor and said,
“This set of armor has the most protection but allows you to move around with ease. Now for your sword. I got another favor I can call in to get you just that.”
Soon he had gotten me a sword and armor pretty much free of charge. I wondered how he got those favors, but I decided against asking him.
“The arena will be taking combatant sign-ups today as well.”
“I guess I better go and sign up then.” I said while giving Morik the armor and sword to hold on to. “Hold on to this while I go sign up. Wait for me by your house, ok?”
“Right, see you then.” Morik replied while walking away.
I went to the arena sign up station which was filled with people trying to get into the arena. Instead of joining in on all the yelling and pushing I decided to sit down on the bench outside and wait for the place to clear out.
A few hours later most of the people were gone, so I decide to head back in. The sheet was filled with names on rows of lines stretching from page to page. I placed my name on a blank line and departed from the arena.
Morik was still waiting for me by his house by the time I arrived.
“Where in the blazes have you been?”
“Well, the sign-up area was a little over crowed when I arrived.” I said while looking for my armor and sword.
“It’s in the house, if you are looking for your stuff.”
“Oh, thanks. The arena starts tomorrow. Do you want to go to the tavern to allay our fears of me dying?”
“Lead the way my friend.” Morik said while walking past me.
I thought I was leading the way? I said to myself as I started to follow Morik.

Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:19 pm

Chapter 4: The Preliminaries
I heard the screams of the crowd roar across the arena grounds as one of the combatants was killed. I sat in the preparing area with Morik who was helping me put my armor on.
“There that’s it. You’re ready for anything they can throw at you.” Said Morik as he got the last buckle in place. The armor was amazingly light for the amount of plating which was placed on it.
“Thanks Morik, I’ll give’em my best!”
“You better! I don’t want to have to drag your sorry hide out of there myself so no getting yourself killed.” Morik joked. ”I’ll be watching from the stands, and know that every dwarf that’s a friend of mine will be rooting for you.”
“Great! I’ll need the moral support.”
A door opened and an arena messenger came in.
“Are you Ryzen?” The messenger asked.
“Yes.” I replied.
“You’re up; head to the arena ramp within five minutes.”
“Ok I’ll be there.” Morik raised a hand toward me, and we shook hands.
“Be careful out there.” Morik said heading for the exit to the stands.
I ventured toward the arena ramp which was just down the hallway to the right. Many torches adorned the walls, and the wails of injured men that had survived fights boomed down the hallways from the medical room. I found the ramp room and proceeded through the door. I walked up the silent ramp where I could hear nothing except for my own heartbeat. I reached the door that opened to the arena grounds. My hand froze at the handle because of my nervousness, but I proceeded.
I was immediately blinded by the bright light of the sun, when I walked out of the dark tunnel. I was also deafened from the roar of the screams that welcomed my presence. After my eyes adjusted I noticed a gate in front of me which dropped when the fights began. To the left of the arena grounds was a large horn which the announcer spoke through. Once the crowd settled down he announced.
“Ladies and gentlemen, dwarves and any elves, I would like to announce the final fight of the day and the last of the preliminaries. To my right, we have the Fierce Ryzen!” The crowd screamed with joy. “And to my left, we have the Speedy Luther!” The crowd screamed again. “These men will be fighting until they either give up or die. Ladies and gentlemen it’s my honor as this arena’s announcer to say: Let the battle begin!
The gate rolled down in front of me and allowed me to proceed onto the blood ridden dirt. I was finally able to get a look at my opponent. The man had no armor and only a sword to protect him. His shirt and pants were ragged and dirty. Soon we had met in the middle and began to circle each other. I could see fear in his eyes. He knew that he was no match for me, so I asked him.
“Why are you here?”
“I…I need to feed my family. I joined so I can buy food for them.”
After what he had said and along with what the announcer said, I concluded that his strength was speed. I assumed he must have been a thief to feed his family. I felt sorrow swell in my chest, but I couldn’t let him win so I pushed my sorrow aside and began.
“I’m sorry to hear that, truly.” I said to him before I began my attack
I swung at an angle intending to strike his left shoulder enough to knock him unconscious, but to my surprise he effectively dodged it. He started to attack me from behind. I quickly spun around and blocked it with my sword. Countering, I knocked his sword away with a shove and backed away. He prepared for my attack again. I noticed that he had a bruise on his right hand on which he wielded his sword. I attacked his right hand hitting the hilt and knocking the sword some distance away. I immediately hit his chest with my elbow landing him on the ground. I raised my sword to his throat. Fear dominated his eyes. I lowered the sword, put it back in the sheath, and walked back to the exit. As I did, boos’ roared through the arena, but I did not care. I reached the holding area and the same messenger who had talked to me earlier handed me a small bag of gold.
“Congratulations, you made it to the next round.”
“Thanks.” I replied to him
He walked away. I noticed the man in rags who I fought in the arena earlier on a bench in the corner. As I passed him I dropped the bag of gold in his lap and left.
Morik met up with me outside.
“Well, that was something you pulled off.” Morik exclaimed, as he walked towards me.
“As I said before I joined this arena, I will not kill anyone.” I replied
“Where’s the gold?”
“I gave it to the guy I fought.”
“What!” He yelled.
“He only fought in the arena for money, and I have no need for it.”
“You are an honorable man, Ryzen.”
“Thanks. Now please help me with this armor.”
“Okay, lets head on over to your house, and we’ll get you out of the armor. Also, how did it perform?”
“Very well, it allows a lot of mobility.”
“Great! Glad to hear it. Let’s get out of here.”

Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:20 pm

Chapter 5: Savage
I was sitting in the stands with Morik watching how each of the combatants fought, since the winner would be the one I fought next. Morik had about five other dwarves with him. The fight ended, and the crowd screamed with joy. A gladiator by the name of Elijah Lamb had won. He had a steel cuirass, greaves, and gauntlets. His weapon was a large halberd and it had won him many fights while I had won three since my first fight three nights ago. I noticed a flaw in his weapon technique. Every time he swung his halberd downward there was a small period of time needed to lift it back up. So in between his swings is when I should attack.
“Wow! That was a good fight right there!” Morik yelled over the rest of the crowd.
“And now I have to fight him.” I replied.
“Oh right. You better get down there.”
“I’m overjoyed.” I said sarcastically while walking to the holding area.
Soon I stood behind the Iron Gate which separated me from the arena grounds. The stench of dry blood filled my nose as the announcer began to speak.
“Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve seen him fight three bloody battles, and each giving his opponent mercy before the sword. Give it you’re all for the Fierce Ryzen!” The arena roared with the voices of Starkhaven. I looked to the audience and found Morik giving me thumbs up.
“To my left is a man who has slain many with his strong halberd. Can Ryzen stand against him? Give it up for the Savage Elijah!” Another round of screams and yells roared through the arena. “As your honorable announcer, let the quarter-finals….BEGIN!”
The gate dropped before me, and I charged onto the now gore-ridden dirt. Elijah stood before me with his halberd stretch out before him, pointing it at me. The shaft of his weapon was made of wood while the axe, located at the end of it, was tempered in steel.
“You’re mine!” Elijah said in an intimidating voice.
“Really now?” I replied back to him.
He suddenly without warning struck downward with his weapon, striking the dirt. I dodged the blow, and in that split second as he prepared to lift it was my chance to strike. I leaped forth and struck my sword underneath one of his armor plates and into his right shoulder. He screamed with pain and swung his halberd harshly towards me sideways. My sword was still gouged in his shoulder when he retaliated. I ducked and withdrew my sword from him. As his weapon passed over my head, I struck my sword across his chest, which caused a major dent in his armor. Without the thick armor the blow would have killed him. I leaped back out of his range while he recovered from the shock of the two attacks. After he caught his breath, he charged again with a downward strike. I dodged this easily to the left instead of right, but as I prepared to charge his left flank Elijah yelled.
“Not this time!” And instead of lifting his weapon, he swung it from the ground diagonally which ripped across my chest plate armor and left a major wound. I swore and retreated backward. I looked down to see blood rushing out of the gash in the armor. I had to think quickly on how to end the fight before I bled out, and that’s when I noticed it. His halberd was made of wood. Only the axe was metal. I devised a plan to defeat my fierce opponent before he engaged me again.
He lunged toward me with the same downward strike which I dodged, but before he could strike I brought my sword down upon his halberd and broke the wooden pole. I immediately kicked Elijah away from his broken weapon and said “give up.”
“You’ve lost.” He looked at the ground
“I know when I’m beaten.” He said
I placed my sword into the sheath and helped him back to the holding arena where I told him-
“You spent all that money on defense and you didn’t think about offense.”
“Noticed that, did you?” I smiled and walked away towards the medical room. My sight was becoming blurred. Morik met me halfway and helped me reach the medical room, where I waited for the next fight to begin.
Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:23 pm

Chapter 6: Semi-Finals
My wound had been bandaged, and the bleeding had stopped. Morik and I waited for the semi-finals to begin. I wondered who I was going to fight, but I needed to stay and let my wound heal as much as possible.
“I wish I could get you some more armor, but I cannot afford any.” Morik said breaking the silence.
“No need; this armor should last me to the end.”
“Alright. You handled that Elijah guy pretty well.”
“I hope so. I’m surprised at how fast he adapted to his situation.”
“How you dodged his first two attacks were simply amazing. Why didn’t you keep attacking while you were up close?”
“I wasn’t trying to kill him.”
“Oh, right.”
A messenger walked through the door. “You’re up, Ryzen.”
“I guess I better get going, Morik.”
“Be careful, Ryzen”
“No promises.” I remarked.
I reached the Iron Gate which was the only thing between me and my next opponent. I watched as the announcer approached the giant horn.
“Earlier today, my wonderful audience, we witnessed Ryzen fight with Elijah Lamb. Elijah was valiantly defeated and spared. Finally we shall see who will battle the Champion by means of elimination in this arena’s semi-finals. To my right is the Fierce Ryzen! To my left is the Violent Decimus.” The crowd roared as the two names were called out.” Let the arena semi-finals begin!”
The gate rolled down allowing me to confront my opponent. As we approached each other, I got to finally see my opponent. He was fully armored with a steel helmet, cuirass, greaves, and gauntlets. He wielded a long sword in his right hand and in his left was a shield with an odd symbol on it. Instead of talking when we met, Decimus charged at me like a wild boar. His sword came at me from my left flank. I blocked it with my sword, and we grappled. Suddenly he hit me with his shield, and I staggered backward from the hard blow.
As soon as I was disoriented, he stabbed his sword at my wound in the armor. I had to dodge by jumping back from the point of his sword. I knew then and there that this man was going to take any advantage necessary to win.
I attacked him with a riposte hoping to hurt him. I struck his breastplate after blocking one of his strikes, but I did not puncture it. He retaliated by striking my armor in a spin just below the gash where I had been wounded before. Suddenly, he spun in a 360 degree turn with his shield. I barley had enough time to dodge the attack, as he grazed the side of my neck. If I hadn’t dodged it I most certainly would not have survived. We started to circle each other, each one trying to find a weakness in his opponent. This time I devised a strategy that would almost even the battle.
I attacked him head-on. When he stabbed his sword at me, I countered with a spin. My back landed near his right arm, so I struck upward with my left elbow, since it was armored, and the right side was not. The blow knocked his helmet off and sent him plummeting to the ground. He quickly got back upon his feet. His face was scarred, and blood dripped from his mouth. He spat the blood out of his mouth. His eyes were deep and perceptive, and he had black hair which went down to his shoulders. His head was protected with a chainmail coif as well.
He took a stance and charged at me with a flurry of blows. I blocked, dodged, and searched for an opening in his attack through the sparks that occurred from metal on metal but to no avail. The stress of the blocking began to reopen my wound from earlier today. I began to tire, and my stamina could not hold for much longer. I had to do something lest I would die. I decided to riposte and counterattack, but he easily blocked my strike with his shield.
I was slowly being pushed into a corner. My life was counting down. I had to think of something and quickly.
As I thought of a way to defeat this man, it seemed that time had slowed. Seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours. I managed to conjure a desperate plan which seemed futile, but in my position anything was better than just standing there. By then, my wound across my chest had reopened, so I acted. I charged the man, not caring to block. His sword cut through my left shoulder plate, and a second strike punctured my right thigh. I could feel the sting of a small wound rush up my right side as well. I crashed into the man, knocking him to the ground with my body. With his head exposed, I started to punch the man in the face with my metal gauntlets. Soon his face was cut, bruised, and scarred even more. He then fell silent; his breathing was harsh, and his immobility was a sign that he was defeated. I stood up beside the man and lifted him to his feet. My eyes then went dizzy. All of a sudden, I remembered that I had been cut in the shoulder and thigh not to mention my wound reopening across my chest. The light faded, and the last thing I remember was the dirt striking my face
Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragnos 5/31/2015, 5:23 pm

Rest will be posted tomorrow.
Ragnos
Ragnos
Admin